If the thought of reinventing a whole new persona is daunting, make these small changes to reap giant-sized rewards. Reassure yourself that you don’t have to be trapped by old habits. With a little effort and attention, you can create healthy new ones!
1. Eat an apple instead of a candy bar or a bowl of ice cream; the nutrients will nourish your body, and your pants will fit better.
2. Wake up with a plan for the day; you’ll accomplish more and be satisfied when the day is done that your time was well spent.
3. Forgive everyone as you go through the day so you don’t waste energy carrying a heavy bag weighted down with resentments.
4. Daydream a few minutes each day to unleash your creative energy and untether yourself from practical concerns.
5. Purge surplus possessions to create an uncluttered environment.
6. When you deal with individuals who live on the dark side of life (people who look for a coffin when they smell flowers), imagine yourself encased in an impenetrable clear plastic bubble and enjoy a good belly laugh. Besides being good for you, your laughter will drive them crazy.
7. Make decisions when you are in a positive, productive state and not when you are tired, hungry, angry or lonely.
8. Throughout the day, take a few moments to stand up, straighten your posture and breathe deeply.
9. Incorporate play into your lifestyle so you stay lighthearted.
10. Ride easy in the saddle so you can adjust to twists, turns and stumbles. No matter how carefully you plan, events seldom materialize as expected. Sometimes the outcome is better, sometimes worse, but rarely what you expect.
Like my life, this list is a work in progress. A few months from now, I’ll dig it out and update it simply for the fun of learning and exploring new opportunities. What’s on your list?
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Ghandhi